Sunday 19 February 2012

In the Studio


This is my personal studio space at the University of Chichester. Here you can see my most recent work which I am making for my degree show. 



I have produced a personal map by changing the shape of the United Kingdom to resemble my take on the country - with personal messages.  I have a mixed British identity; born in England, with Scottish parents, I have lived in Scotland and England. I have a Scottish accent with two children who have English accents. I had taken the British Isles and radically personalised it, chopping it up and realigning the shape.

This week I have been writing a short statement which will be included in the show catalogue. My statement is:

My personal journey maps out my understanding and comprehension, developed through my struggle with dyslexia. I have developed a visual system of communication; investigating signs as a means to removing textual barriers. I empathise with inaccuracies in historical maps, and with a mixed Scottish / English identity I personalise maps of Great Britain to represent a culturally diverse society.

I have to write 500 word and 1000 word statements in the following months so will post them when they are done.


1 comment:

  1. Well Done Alison Congratulations on an excellent web page look forward to reading more about your work
    Best Wishes from all in Scotland

    ReplyDelete